Not Even Related to a Deaf Adult

I am a Deaf Studies/American Sign Language major at California State University, Sacramento. My hope for this blog is to connect with other people who love signing, raise awareness for Deaf rights, and make some friends I can sign with!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

New Semester, New Inspiration!

Welcome back to my blog!  It's been a long time since I've posted, but I feel newly motivated with the semester starting up to blog at least once a week.  I'll give my best effort!

Yesterday (my 22nd birthday!) my Experiences in the Deaf Community class took a field trip to the office of NorCal Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing.  We were given a tour of the building and an overview of each program and service the center offers.  It was SO cool!

One of the positions there, a client advocate, is a person who assists a Deaf person with anything from understanding a phone bill to studying a driver's handbook to helping them obtain an interpreter (which is their legal right) when the doctor's office is refusing to comply with the law and provide one.  I think I would LOVE this position.  I enjoy working one-on-one with people, and this job would be more personal and relational than interpreting.  I would enjoy helping people with these every day life situations, and would be able to combine using ASL with advocacy for Deaf rights in this position - both of which I have a heart and passion for.  I would really like to learn more about this kind of job and the necessary education to do it.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great position for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so awesome Sarah :) I'll definitely be praying for you (well I already am but I hope you get the sentiment I'm trying to send in this comment) :)

    ReplyDelete